Happy Monday, y’all! How was everyone’s first week of 2016? It felt great to get back to work and be with my team again. Every day we’re hustlin’. Last week I launched Be Bold in 2016 with four amazing bloggers. Be Bold in 2016 is a linkup series for all bloggers to share their goals and intentions for the New Year and grow their communities. I loved reading about what everyone had chosen as their words of the year and why those chose those words. Check out the posts from my wonderful co-hosts Gina, Christina, Catherine and Allie for more fierce inspiration!
With a new year comes a whole bunch of exciting, new things for the blog, which also means new readers! So I thought it would be a perfect time for a new introduction for my new readers that might have just joined along for the ride. Plus, no introduction is the same, and who doesn’t love talking about herself?
So, allow me to introduce myself.
Hiii and welcome to A Thought and a Half! I’m Kate, the Southern belle behind the blog. I call myself a Southern lifestyle blogger without really committing to one specific city. I’ve moved so many times and called so many places “home” that I don’t think I could commit to just one. My family’s roots are in North Carolina; I’ve lived in North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Virginia. I currently live in Tennessee, and I love every little bit of it!
By day, I work for a social media agency. It’s a wonderful, fulfilling job, and there’s something new on the table almost every day. Even during stressful weeks, I wake up excited to go to work. That’s the best feeling ever.
I went to college at Virginia Tech, and I will probably talk about something Hokie-related within the first five minutes of our first conversation. It sounds cliche, but I wouldn’t change anything about my experiences at VT for anything. Becoming a Hokie was one of the best decisions I ever made. After college, I went straight to grad school and got my Master of Arts in Interactive Media from Elon University in North Carolina. It was hard, it drove me crazy and I learned how to function on less and less sleep, but I made it out alive, and in only 10 months!
As I said, my family and I have moved around a lot. Growing up, we never lived anywhere for longer than about five years, so I’m not used to staying in the same place for about any longer than that. When I was younger, my mom and I were fortunate to travel with my dad on his business trips. These experiences inspired a love of traveling and exploring new places. From a hidden gem a few miles down the road to a whole new country across the ocean, I’m always up for a new adventure. I studied abroad in London in June 2013 and traveled around Eastern Europe the following summer. Next on my list is Scandinavia and Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
And now for some random, fun facts about me:
- I absolutely abhor tomatoes. Cannot stand them.
- For my thesis project in grad school, I built an educational website about type-2 diabetes for young adults. It was one of the hardest projects I ever did, but I was proud of it and so glad to be done.
- I adopted my sweet Maggie kitty in September from a local animal shelter. She’s the sweetest. My Instagram is filled with pictures of her.
- My Instagram is also filled with pictures of food. Because I love food and I’m slowly becoming a better cook.
- I’m obsessed with penguins, Andy Grammer and J.J. Watt.
- This fall, I taught myself how to make apple butter, and I want to learn to make jam this spring when berries are fresh again.
- I still prefer cookbooks over pulling up a recipe online. In fact, I just bought a bookshelf to show off my cookbooks.
- There is no food I love more than mac and cheese. Except maybe barbecue. But only Carolina-style barbecue.
- I only eat at Zaxby’s on Sundays, because that’s the only day I can’t get Chick-Fil-A. #SouthernProblems
- I firmly believe that Cheerwine, vanilla Coke Zero, coffee and sweet tea are the only drinks anyone ever needs (aside from water to make those drinks).
- I have seen every single episode of The Big Bang Theory and have already accepted that I will cry lots of tears the day the final episode airs.
- I’m slowly teaching myself some hand-lettering. It’s really just a lot of looking at pretty fonts and drawing them myself.
- I’m terrified of open water, burning out, snakes and New York City.
- I cry at the Budweiser Super Bowl commercials every single year.
- I wish I could be best friends with Reese Witherspoon.
What are some fun facts you’d like to share about yourself? Share your new introduction with us so we can get to know you, too!