Christmas time is here!
Once I’ve seen A Charlie Brown Christmas on TV, it’s officially Christmas season in my world. None of this “Christmas music on the radio before Thanksgiving” business. With my birthday at the end of November, Christmas doesn’t start until after that, at least in my family.
With Christmastime comes a unique set of events and routines that just don’t happen at other times of the year. Or if they do, it’s not the same then as they are at Christmas. Do y’all ever feel that way? That some things are just better or more fun this time of year?
Here are 25 things that always happen every year around Christmas.
1. I watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on TV.
2. I watch Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer on TV.
3. My kitchen turns into candy-making central. Candy, cookies, sausage balls… I make a little bit of everything this time of year.
4. Trans-Siberian Orchestra becomes my most-played artist on my iPod, as I listen to it on my drive to work. Or, my drives anywhere, really.
5. Actually, my “CHRISTMAS!!!!” playlist gets played on repeat on a daily basis.
6. I get tired of hearing “Wonderful Christmastime” as every fifth song on the radio (sorry, Paul, loved you in The Beatles).
7. Seasonal coffees and teas? In my shopping cart ASAP.
8. I make sure I have a snow/ice scraper in my car, ready to go when needed. Pro tip: don’t get caught without one. Learned that the hard way.
9. I also make sure I have plenty of thick socks and that my boots don’t have any holes in the soles. Cold, wet feet? No thank you. Shout out to Target for their awesome socks.
10. I start to get a little sad because football season is winding down. But then I get happy because basketball is just getting started.
11. I spend an inordinate amount of time at Target, if you haven’t noticed. I mean I pretty much do that the rest of the year, but it gets more frequent around Christmas.
12. When I see seasonal coffee creamers, I buy them. I just can’t pick a favorite!
13. Same goes for Target’s holiday mug collection.
14. Christmas shopping? I had it (mostly) done in November. #winning
15. But I always end up going out shopping anyway, and I fall victim to any Christmas crafts, trinkets, anything at Michael’s or Hobby Lobby.
16. Which usually results in some kind of DIY Christmas decoration for my apartment.
17. I search for a tacky/ugly sweater, just to resort to anything with a penguin on it, whether it’s ugly, tacky or extremely cute.
18. I plan my holiday travel on optimal travel days. Holiday travel is serious business, y’all! Especially now with a kitty in tow.
19. The violin comes back out, just long enough for me to play some Christmas hymns for my family. And for me to realize how much I miss it.
20. People start asking about my goals and resolutions for next year.
21. To which I undoubtedly answer, “Oh, I dunno, haven’t gotten there yet. But I know there are things I want to do and work on, so ask me again on January 1st.”
22. Somewhere, at least once, I hear someone singing Christmas songs while meandering the aisles in a store. They’re not always good singers, but their joy is always infectious.
23. I miss my Christmas decorations at home. Nothing beats it.
24. I get excited to spend time with my family and to relax, refresh and recharge. Because we all need that every once in a while.
25. I remember how blessed this life is and how much joy is in every aspect of my life.
Christmas is a special time of the year. It’s busy and stressful with everything that goes on, but there’s so much joy and happiness and wonderful things happening.
What’s your favorite thing about the holiday season? What do you always do this time of year?