Fact: fall is the best season. I used to think summer had that title, but I’ve been proven otherwise. Fall totally takes the cake. ‘Tis the season of apples, changing leaves, decorative gourds, spiced lattes, football, all pumpkin everything and beyond.
Earlier this week I stumbled across this Buzzfeed “article” about the 54 worst things about fall (really, 54?). While some of the items on the list deserve their spots–Halloween and haunted houses have never really been my thing–I have to disagree with the rest.
So I’m offering a counter-article: the 30 BEST things about fall.
There are just as many, if not more things to love about fall than to hate. So let’s get to it: what makes fall so wonderful?
1. Everyone talks about how wonderful fall is. Because it’s the best, obviously.
2. Fall farmer’s markets. Produce and flowers and fried apple pies and all sorts of fall goodies. And oh my, fried apple pies.
3. Layers on layers on layers. Long shirts, sweaters, cardigans, scarves, leggings, boots, thick socks… you name it, you can wear it.
4. Scarves. All the scarves. All of them. Always.
5. Boots, too. I love my boots. I have a gray pair and a brown pair, and my trusty combat boots. Boots go with everything.
6. Fall fashion in general. It just screams comfortable and cozy. Who doesn’t like being comfortable and cozy? I mean I guess I could wear leggings during the summer, but they just feel awesome in the fall, when it’s cooler.
7. Warm laundry. Nothing warms me up on a chilly night than my favorite sweatpants fresh out of the dryer.
8. Warm drinks. The only cold drinks I like are sweet tea and frappucinos, and I don’t even drink frapps that much. So iced coffee isn’t an issue for me. Bring on the hot chocolate, apple cider, hot toddies, peppermint mochas (okay a little later in the season) and more.
8. It’s totally acceptable to drink PSLs obsessively. Also TGLs (toasted graham lattes).
9. Hot cider + Winter Jack. Yes and yes.
10. Those limited edition Coffee Mate flavored creamers come back. I’m personally a fan of the peppermint mocha and gingerbread.
11. While I’m not a huge fan of Halloween itself, I do love seeing others’ creativity when it comes to costumes. Seriously, some people go all out. I wish I had that kind of dedication. Fun fact: my all-time favorite Halloween costume was when I was Sailor Moon, ca. 2000. I rocked it.
12. Football games. And tailgating. My favorite memories from college were going to mid-afternoon football games late September to mid October, in the prime of fall.
13. All pumpkin everything. Pumpkin baked goods are my jam. I also absolutely love pumpkin pie spice and will add it to almost anything. Pumpkin spice oatmeal is my new favorite fall breakfast… with a pumpkin muffin on the side. Also pumpkin waffles, pumpkin pancakes… I could go on.
14. Going to the pumpkin patch and picking a pumpkin.
15. Especially if there’s a super-fun corn maze to go with it (as long as it’s not haunted).
16. Apple-picking. While some varieties come off earlier in July or August, the best, ripest apples are ready for picking in September and October. Going apple-picking is a super fun past time, and also a great date! In fact, apple-picking was one of the first things my boyfriend and I did together, right before we started dating. We try to do it together every year as a “tradition.”
17. Homemade applesauce. What else will I do with all those apples I pick? I don’t have the patience to make an apple pie, so crock-pot applesauce it is. It makes a ton and lasts for a long time. And it makes my apartment smell amazing.
18. Apple butter. And pumpkin butter. I guess that falls under the “all pumpkin everything” category.
19. Colors. I’ve always loved when the leaves turn red and maroon and orange and yellow, and all blend together. It’s like watercolors in the trees.
20. There are tons of things to do with friends and significant others (apple picking, pumpkin patches, corn mazes, etc.). No excuse for “not having anything to do.” See #14-16.
21. Making leaf piles and jumping in them. Is it wrong to do this as an adult?
22. Heated blankets. I love my heated blanket. So does my kitty.
23. Basketball season comes back. I love my basketball.
24. I can wear my super fuzzy house shoes all the time.
25. Also fleece pajama pants. Those are nice, too.
26. Fall means Thanksgiving is coming.
27. Thanksgiving means family, food and football.
28. Thanksgiving also means Christmas is getting closer. Insert “Elf” reference here.
29. Christmas means all gingerbread everything. Gingerbread is awesome.
30. Everyone loves fall so much, they just have to mention it again.
Fall is here. Enjoy it. Savor it and all of its pumpkin and apple goodness. Rock your scarves and boots and wrap up in as many fleece blankets as you can.
What’s YOUR favorite thing about fall?