I’ve been on a Disney kick lately…more specifically, a Hercules kick. I loved this movie when it first came out (1997, woof I’m old), and it gets better and funnier each time I watch it. The fact that it’s on Netflix (and I own the DVD) makes it easier to feed this kick.
Last week, I wrote about going the distance, as was inspired by young Herc’s revelation. Not gonna lie, I heard Michael Bolton’s version of that song on the radio the other day, and I shamelessly belted along with him. But that’s beside the point. After watching the movie again this past week (more than once, maybe…), I realized this movie has a lot to teach us. It’s full of valuable lessons that we should remember in our own lives. Disney’s great about that, isn’t it?
So, here are 13 (mostly) valuable lessons we can learn from Hercules and friends.
1. Animal sidekicks are the best sidekicks.
2. Animals are sometimes disgusting.
3. Everyone has a dream. And dreams are not for rookies.
4. A firm handshake will do you well. (Side note, the Mean Girls joke in this gif was too much to resist.)
5. Some people have pretty bad anger management issues…and sometimes it’s just best to let them be angry.
6. Don’t talk smack about your buddies’ parents. They’ll find out.
7. It takes more than sinew…comes down to what’s in you…to achieve what you want to achieve.
8. Everyone has something that causes him pain and makes him panic.
9. Sometimes, it’s okay to (want to) punch someone’s face in when they’re really making you angry.
10. If someone is suspicious that you love someone, and you keep denying it, they will continue to call you on it until you admit it. I speak from experience here.
11. We’ve all won at least one prize for rotten judgment.
12. Life would be twice as awesome with a chorus narrating and singing along.
And, last but not least…
13. People do crazy things when they’re in love.
And that’s the gospel truth!
What’s your favorite Disney movie? What are some lessons (serious or fun) we can learn from it?