Before I start, I must thank Lisa for inadvertently inspiring this post!
One of my favorite things about living in an apartment is having a kitchen all to myself. I love baking and I’m slowly learning how to cook real meals instead of depending on Lean Cuisines and leftovers from restaurants. And since I can’t depend on a school meal plan forever, I figure I should be confident enough to cook a few meals so I can impress my friends and boyfriend every now and then. With that said, here are my favorite must-have kitchen items!
1. Pots & Pans: The year before I moved into my apartment in Blacksburg, my mom replaced her set of Calphalon pots and pans with a brand new set, and I got the old ones. They’re still in great condition and I love having them. Calphalon will hold up for a long time.
2. Cutting mats: I love mats as opposed to a cutting board because they’re so much easier to store and take up much less room.
3. George Foreman indoor grill: We found a barely-used Lean Mean Fat-Reducing Grilling Machine in our basement last summer and I didn’t hesitate a second before packing it to take with me. I can tell you from experience that it does reduce a lot of fat and everything I’ve made on it tastes great. From chicken to burgers, this thing makes it all. I love it.
4. Blender: Smoothies, sauces, daiquiris, margaritas and more. I love my blender and use it almost daily. It’s great for smoothies in the mornings and a daiquiri on the weekend. But mostly for smoothies.
5. Muffin pan: I had no idea how many uses a muffin pan had! Muffins, cupcakes, large ice cubes, mini quiches…the possibilities are endless. Muffins are super easy to make and super super easy to grab and go on my way out the door in the mornings.
6. Keurig coffee maker: Last but certainly not least! I cannot say enough good things about my Keurig. It’s convenient and easy to maintain and brews coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. This was one of the best purchases I made for my apartment. And with as much coffee as I drink, it’s so easy to just pop in a K-cup and brew a cup whenever I need. I’m seriously in love with this thing. It’s my favorite.
What are YOUR kitchen essentials?